Massive drops in employment due to the COVID-19 crisis had a devastating effect on jobs and incomes among Malaysians. According to the latest Key Statistics of Labour Force in Malaysia released in March 2021, an approximately 753.2K individuals have lost their jobs as COVID-19 creates turmoil in labour markets.
Despite the hammer-blow in our country, there are still many who aren’t aware of an effort which has been incepted for those who have lost their jobs. This initiative was created to encourage the formation and growth of job opportunities.
The government has introduced KerjayaGig Program formed under Program Pemulih (Pakej Perlindungan Rakyat dan Pemulihan Ekonomi), to help workers cope with the loss of employment by providing immediate financial and job search assistance.
Who can benefit from this programme?
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THE GIG CAREER PROGRAM?
- Formal employees who are employed and registered with SOCSO but are given notice of unpaid leave
- Individuals registered with SOCSO who have lost their jobs
- Job seekers from the vulnerable group. Among them, people with disabilities (OKU), participants of the SOCSO Return To Work program, homeless, single mothers, heads of low-income families registered with e-Kasih, former drug addicts, former guides, People on Parole (ODP) and so on
- All employees for this program must be 18-60 years of age.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE GIG CAREER PROGRAM?
- Applications for the Gig Career Program will be open from July 15, 2021 to December 31, 2021
- Log in to the MyFutureJobs website and apply for jobs listed under the self -employment category
- After successfully hiring, employers need to register a successful Self -Employed Person through the SOCSO website to apply for the KerjayaGig Program incentive
- The required documents are as follows:
- Employment Confirmation Form signed by the self -employed individual
- Self -employed individual bank account information (copy of front page of bank statement containing employee’s name, bank account number, identity card, and bank name)
- Relevant letters or documents as well as evidence issued by the latest employer for employees receiving unpaid leave
- Confirmation email from the operator to confirm the employment status for the newly hired self-employed
- For more information please refer to ( Gig Career FAQ)
Let’s step up and share this novel information around to boost resilience and promote a more people-centred future of work.