COVID-19 seems to be taking a mounting toll on mental health in Malaysia. Extended lockdowns and rising unemployment have exacerbated the situation. According to a statement by Royal Malaysia Police, in the first five months of 2021, the police reported 468 suicide cases, compared to 631 in 2020 and 609 in 2019.
This shook us to the core as never once have Malaysians seen so many jobless, poor, and homeless.
It is said: Suicide never ends the pain, just passes it on to someone else.
Emotional support help centre Befrienders Kuala Lumpur recorded 20,575 calls from January to June this year, compared to 32,710 for the whole of last year. Many people have taken their own lives as a result of their inability to support their family and increased social isolation.
It’s okay to not be okay, and to seek help from mental health professionals.
List of Counselling & Mental Health Services in Malaysia:
- Befrienders Malaysia on 03 7627 2929
- The Buddy Bear Project [For children] on 1300 18 2327
- Mental Illness and Awareness Support Association on +6013 3330737 or +6016 391 6755
- Mental Health Psychosocial Support Service on 03 2935 9935
- Centre for Psychological and Counselling Services by HELP University – 03-2096 1212
- Malaysian Mental Health Association – 03-2780 6803
- HumanKind Community Counselling – 012-300 5453
- Lifeline Association of Malaysia – 06 – 392850039
- Talian Kasih – 15999 or WhatsApp 019-2615999
“Remember that suicide doesn’t end the chances of life getting worse, it eliminates the possibility of it ever getting any better.”
List of SME’s Reliefs
The following is a list of SMEs reliefs that are currently available or open for application, to assist individuals and businesses in dealing with financial difficulties.
- Wage Subsidy Programme (WSP 3.0) – Apply at PERKESO
- Targeted Loan Repayment Assistance (TRA)- Apply at respective banks
- PERMAI Special Prihatin Grant (GKP) – Apply at Geran Khas Prihatin
- SME Digitisation Grant – Apply at SME Bank
- Boosting Online Businesses – Apply at MDEC Official Website
- MARA Business Payment Rescheduling – Apply at MARA
- Electricity Bill Support – TNB’s Careline ([email protected])
- Indian Community Entrepreneur Development Scheme (SPUMI) – TEKUN Nasional
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Financing Scheme – Call Business Banking Group 03-2611 3888
If you are struggling and feeling like it’s you against the world, remember that help is all around you, be it in the form of a professional service, financial, books, or a loved one. You just have to open up and reach out first.