Every human being, including people with disabilities have rights to be protected.
Many people are unaware of the benefits and privileges they may be entitled to as a disabled person. This will assist many people in learning about the government’s policy for individuals who are in need.
What is described as a Persons with Disabilities Act 2008 (PWD)?
A per the act, Persons with Disabilities (PWD) refer to those who have long-term physical, mental, intellectual, or sensory impairments that hinder them from fully participating in society when faced with challenges. They are not neglected by the government, instead, they are provided with services.
Categories of Persons with Disabilities (PWD)
There are few categories that fall under the Persons with Disabilities ACT 2008, which can be registered namely;
- Hearing disability
- Visual disability
- Speech disability
- Physical disability (such as stroke, cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, spinal cord injury, limb amputation)
- Learning disability (such as down syndrome, autism, intellectual disability, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Dyslexia)
- Mental disability
- Multiple disabilities (having more than one category)
Special Facilities for Persons with Disabilities
Here are the facilities and privileges that a person with disabilities can benefit under the Persons with Disabilities (PWD) act;
- Exemption of medical payment at Ministry of Health (MOH) health facilities.
- Special route for disabled at Ministry of Health (MOH) health facilities
- Support services (Community Rehabilitation Program)
- Access to educational programs
- Job coaching and opportunities
- Public Transport facilities (fare concession discount)
- Retirement facilities (derivative pension)
- Financial assistance
Guide to apply for Persons with Disabilities (PWD) Card
- Obtain an application form at any nearest District Social Welfare Office.
- Provide a valid Persons With Disability (PWD) medical certificate from a licensed doctor.
- The applications need to be submitted in person at your nearest District Social Welfare Office.
- Once the card is ready, an officer from the Department of Social Welfare shall contact you to pick up the card.
For those who have never applied yet or want to apply as a Persons with Disabilities (PWD) or Orang Kurang Upaya (OKU), you may register HERE.
Parents, family members, and the community all have important roles and responsibilities in providing accurate knowledge, awareness, assistance, and support to people with disabilities.
We must ensure that people with disabilities have every opportunity to obtain these benefits.
For more information, do check out the official website of Jabatan Kebajikan Masyarakat (JKM).