The Higher Education Ministry has announced that all teaching and learning (PdP) programmes in universities should be conducted through online platform until Dec 31. Face-to-face activities will not be allowed. Exceptions will only be given to five categories of students.
In the statement issued by The Higher Education Ministry, it said these five categories of students comprise those who will gradually return to campuses and those allowed to be involved in the resumption of teaching and learning programmes.
The first category of students allowed to resume their studies with immediate affect are post-graduate students involved in the “research mode” in public universities and private higher learning institutions (IPTS). The flexibility will only be given to students who need to be physically present at the laboratory, workshop, design studio or requiring special equipment to conduct research.
It said the remaining four categories of students allowed to resume their PdP were subject to the final date of the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO).
These remaining four categories of students are:
- Final year or final semester students under the certificate, diploma and bachelors degree-levels involved in clinical tasks, practical training, workshop, laboratory, design studio, practical, or those who need to use the specific equipment for these tasks. These category of students are allowed to carry out the PdP in their respective campuses beginning July 1.
- Final year or final semester students who do not have access and those without any conducive environment to undergo PdP through online methods. Students in this category are allowed to return to campus beginning July 1 and make use of the infrastructure in campus for the purpose of online PdP.
- Students with special needs who participate in the education programmes and Technical and Vocational Training (TVET) at Polytechnics and Community Colleges who require a face-to-face learning platform to complete the PdP process. These category of students will be allowed to resume their studies beginning Aug 1.
- All new intake students under the 2020/21 academic session at all public universities, IPTS, Polytechnics and Community College for the certificate, foundation and diploma entry-levels involving Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) leavers. It also involves Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM) holders who will be entering first degree programmes. The students in this category will restart their teaching and learning activities based on the schedule below:
- Certificate and diploma-level students at polytechnics and community colleges will begin on July 1.
- Foundation, certificate, diploma and bachelors degree students from IPTS will begin on July 1.
- Foundation and diploma students in public universities begin Aug 1.
- Bachelors degree and post-graduate research mode students in public universities and IPTS begin Oct 1.
The ministry said all academic activities which are to resume in campuses must comply to the standard operating procedures (SOPs) which have been enforced by the authorities.The institutions should prioritise safety as well as social distancing measures. These regulations are subject to the orders by the authorities from time-to-time.
News Credit: NST Malaysia
Follow us on Instagram, Facebook or Telegram for more updates and breaking news.