Varnam Malaysia
  • Home
  • News
  • Celebrity
  • Reviews
  • Features
  • Music
  • Trailers
  • Culture
No Result
View All Result
Varnam Malaysia
  • Home
  • News
  • Celebrity
  • Reviews
  • Features
  • Music
  • Trailers
  • Culture
No Result
View All Result
Varnam Malaysia
No Result
View All Result
Home Celebrity

Tamil Film Stalwarts Supportive of #metoo, but Continue to Walk on Eggshells

by Sandy
October 24, 2018
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterSend

With fresh allegations abound, the #metoo movement that began trending earlier this month has unveiled the ugly side of the Tamil film fraternity. Singer Chinmayi and the other victims who have come forward with their stories have been not only subjected to victim blaming and even more harassment online and in the real world.

Action King is all words, no action

New allegations have surfaced against actor Arjun, who is said to have harassed his co star on the set of Nibunan. Shruthi Hariharan tweeted the allegations a day ago, and has been chided vehemently by Twitterati. Arjun has threatened to take legal action and he has been quoted saying, ” I am saddened by the allegations and I don’t know I can correct this.  I will speak about improving the shots and dialogues but I don’t have the cheap mentality of using this profession to touch women inappropriately,”

Arjun also says that this accusation has diluted the #metoo movement due to the lack of evidence,  “I respect and value the #metoo movement. It should be used for good purposes and bring to light injustices but not in situations like this when there is no proof or sense to the claims. When this happens, the movement loses value,”

A R Rahman speaks up, albeit quietly

The Isai Puyal who has worked with Vairamuthu for decades has kept mum throughout the numerous allegations direction towards the poet. Tweeting his support for the movement earlier this week, Rahman says “Been observing the #metoo movement… Some of the names have shocked me… both the victims and their perpetrators… I would love to see our industry become cleaner and respectful of women… More power to all the victims coming forward!”

The tweet was replete with a disclaimer at the end, reminding netizens that this shouldn’t be an avenue for social media justice, and not to misuse the platform.

Prakash Raj tweets his support

With regards to the Arjun allegations, Prakash Raj tweeted that he stands by the victim. “Let us not forget that Arjun Sarja is the pride of Kannada film industry and a veteran actor. But in the wake of the allegations made by Sruthi Hariharan, let us also try to understand the pain, helplessness and insult experienced by the woman for so many days. Even if Arjun dismisses the allegations, it would be best if he apologised for the pain he has caused on the day (of the shoot).”

Related:  Superstar Rajinikanth to be Honoured at IFFI 2025 for 50 Years in Cinema

The Superstar weighs in cautiously too

During an interview, Rajinikanth states that #metoo is a good initiative and that the safety of women is of utmost importance. He too, felt the need to add a disclaimer and state that the platform should not be misused.

“Don’t misuse #metoo,”

Arjun clearly said what he did in self defense. But why did both Rajinikanth and A R Rahman advise people not to misuse the #metoo wave? Neither one of them voiced support for these predators, but we can’t help but to wonder what was insinuated by these stalwarts with their little disclaimer. Perhaps this was their way of standing up for their compatriots in the industry. Or maybe they’re just struggling to admit that the industry has failed the victims?

People of sound mind know that this isn’t something to misuse. Knowing how harsh the Tamil audience is on a woman who doesn’t wear a dupatta, it would take a lot for a woman share her experience of sexual harassment by a powerful, famous man in the industry.

The victims were merely sharing their stories of being wronged. The literally have everything to lose, and nothing to gain. After decades of sweeping this under the rug, isn’t it time we provide a safe space for victims to be heard, without any room for dismissal?

Follow us on Instagram, Facebook or Telegram for more updates and breaking news. 

Filed Under #metooAR RahmanArjunchinmayiPrakash RajRajinikanthsexual harassment
https://lomp.at/1k4ap
Share2Tweet2Send

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

News

Malaysia to Roll Out High-Security MyKad with QR Code by June 2026

by Kavitha
November 27, 2025

The National Registration Department (JPN) will start issuing new versions of national identity cards, including MyKad, MyTentera, and MyPoCA, from...

Read more
Image Source: Shutterstock
News

SPM Kicks Off Smoothly as Ministry Activates Extensive Flood Safeguards

Despite the ongoing monsoon season and rising flood risks across several states, the 2025 SPM examination proceeded smoothly, with the...

Read more
by Shivashangkari
November 26, 2025
Image Source: Samantha Ruth Prabhu Instagram
Celebrity

Samantha Partners with UN Women India to Combat Online Abuse

Actor Samantha Ruth Prabhu has partnered with UN Women India for the 2025 edition of the annual 16 Days of...

Read more
by Kavitha
November 26, 2025
Image Source: Amirudin Shari Facebook
News

RM500 Aid for Flood Victims Sheltered in Selangor PPS

The state government of Selangor is providing financial assistance of RM500 to each of the 750 families registered and affected...

Read more
by Kavitha
November 26, 2025
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons
Celebrity

Madras High Court Shields Ilaiyaraaja from Digital Misuse of His Image

The Madras High Court has granted interim protection to legendary composer Ilaiyaraaja, restricting the unauthorised use of his image, voice...

Read more
by Shivashangkari
November 22, 2025
Image Source: Flickr
News

All Higher Education Students Required to Take Two New Nationhood Subjects Starting Next Year

Beginning next year, all students enrolled in Malaysia’s institutions of higher learning will be required to take two newly introduced...

Read more
by Shivashangkari
November 22, 2025
News

KPKM to Enforce “Take Your Rubbish Home” Rule at Marine Parks from Jan 1

Beginning January 1, 2026, all visitors to Malaysia's marine parks will be required to take their rubbish back with them....

Read more
by Kavitha
November 19, 2025
Image Source: Flickr
News

Rapid Rail Sees Major Improvement with Only 25 Service Disruption This Year

Rapid Rail has reported 25 service disruptions across it’s network as of August 2025, a significant improvement compared with previous...

Read more
by Shivashangkari
November 18, 2025
Image Source: Wikkimedia commons
News

MOE Boosts Teacher Numbers with Over 20,000 New Placements in 2025

The Ministry of Education (MOE) announced that over 20,000 new teachers will be placed in schools across the country this...

Read more
by Shivashangkari
November 13, 2025
News

4-Metre Deep Sinkhole Opens Up Near SK Bandar Tasik Kesuma

A section of road in Semenyih has been closed off to traffic after a sinkhole measuring about four metres deep...

Read more
by Kavitha
November 12, 2025
Load More

TRENDING

  1. 1

    Thalapathy Vijay’s Jana Nayagan Audio Launch Set for December 27 in Kuala Lumpur

  2. 2

    The Best Places to Visit in Istanbul: A Journey Through Time, Culture and Skyline Views

  3. 3

    Malaysian Death Row Inmates Datchinamurthy, Pannir, and Saminathan : Appealing Heard Today

  4. 4

    AK64 Confirmed: Ajith Kumar Teams Up Again With Adhik Ravichandran

  5. 5

    IFFK 2025: ‘Bad Girl’, ‘Homebound’ Among Films Selected for Kaleidoscope Section

  • Advertise With Us
  • Jobs
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

© 2025 Vijandren Ramadass. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Celebrity
  • Reviews
  • Features
  • Music
  • Trailers
  • Culture

© 2025 Vijandren Ramadass. All Rights Reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Celebrity
  • Reviews
  • Features
  • Music
  • Trailers
  • Culture

© 2025 Vijandren Ramadass. All Rights Reserved.